0


"Diego woah, ohh, ohh, Diego, woah, ohh, ohh,"... everyone remembers the famous Manchester United chant that came to existence after Diego Forlan's double at Anfield in 2002, and the Uruguayan's performance that day is part of a special 'Unlikely Heroes' series running on ManUtd.com in the build-up to our latest visit to Merseyside on Sunday.
Forlan struck twice in two minutes on 1 December 2002 to close the gap on leaders Arsenal in another title-winning season for the Reds. Jerzy Dudek's mistake opened the door for the first goal, before the South American fired home soon after to double the advantage. Sami Hyypia cut the deficit with eight minutes left, but United held on for the victory.
Forlan has great memories of the day he became a cult hero for the Reds and recalled the match during MUTV's 'When The Floodlights Fade' documentary, which you can see in full on MUTV on Wednesday night at 20:00 GMT.
"I was aware a little bit how big the game was but, after the game, then I realised," explained Diego. "I hear the fans still singing my name now and they remember that game. Once I was watching United on TV and I could hear the people singing my name. I was sat with my brother and we were looking at each other and said: 'Did you hear that?' It was unbelievable that the fans could remember that day."
You can watch a 30-minute highlights package of the Forlan-inspired 2-1 victory on MUTV on Wednesday at 19:30 GMT, and the Uruguayan will also be featured in The Paddy Crerand Show an hour earlier at 18:30 GMT
YOU  CAN WATCH VIDEO >>> CLICK HERE

Post a Comment

 
Top